Thursday, October 15, 2009

love not violence

pac⋅i⋅fist -Noun
The belief that disputes between nations should and can be settled peacefully.
a person who believes in pacifism or is opposed to war or to violence of any kind.
a person whose personal belief in pacifism causes him or her to refuse being drafted into military service. Compare
conscientious objector.

I was having a great conversation with my mother the other day about violence. I was saying that the boys in our society are becoming increasingly more violent to prove their worth as men. This is scaring me. It is mirrored in politics, world relations, family relationships and media. To be a man you have to act a very specific way, hunt, shoot, football, beer.

I went to Acadamy sports with my friend Adam to buy tips for his arrows. I saw the tips that were used to actually kill animals and I had to walk away very quickly because I knew I was going to be sick. This is what we have out for our children to look an and buy for their pleasure. I don't really understand how someone can have fun shooting a fuzzy bunny with an arrow tip that looks like something that the child of rambo and a chyanne chief would have.

I have found that I come off as a very agressive person. I am loud, obnoxious, and usually voice my opinions readily. I use far to many hyperboles in my speech for me to be completely coherent. This needs to change. If I don't think it is right for someone to punch another in the face, I shouldn't say I want to punch someone in the face. Setting a double standard is what I do best! I have to change this image.

I believe that every dispute can be settled with words and love. There should never be a need for guns, knives or the blasted atomic bomb. If I put my arms around the world would they see that there is love around them? I weep for the future of our children, where they will only see the destruction we have left behind. If we keep up the cycle we are in right now we wont have to worry about over population, we will have killed enough to fix the problem.

I don't want this to be a message of doom and gloom. It is a message of joy and hope for our future. If you can show love to just a handful of people, and they do the same, we will start our own love it forward movement, and that is a beautiful thing. Jesus always preached love, above everything else there was love. I do not belong to a religion of hate, tradition, or boredom. I belong to the only religion I can believe in: the religion of love. (1Jn 3:16) I will love today.

No comments: